ISO 27001 is the International Standard for Information Security Management Systems (ISMS).
ISO 27001: HELPS ISL WITH
Asset Protection, Security Policy, Cyber Security Strategy, IT Governance, Incident Management, Threat Mitigation, Downtime Reduction, Loss Prevention, Data Breaches, Compliance Checklist, Management System, GDPR.
WHAT IS ISO 27001?
The ISO 27001:2013 (formally known as ISO/IEC 27001:2013) standard provides a framework for an Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) that enables the continued accessibility, confidentiality and integrity of information as well as legal compliance. ISO 27001 certification is essential for protecting your most vital assets.
ISO 27001 implementation is an ideal response to customer and legal requirements such as the Data Protection Act and potential security threats including:
- Cyber crime
- Personal data breaches
- Vandalism / Terrorism
- Fire / damage
- Viral attack
The ISO 27001 standard is also structured to be compatible with other management systems standards, such as ISO 9001 and it is technology and vendor neutral, which means it is completely independent of any IT platform. As such, all members of the company should be educated on what the standard means and how it applies throughout the organization.
WHAT IS AN ISMS?
An ISMS is a systematic approach to managing sensitive company information so that it remains secure. It includes people, processes and IT systems by applying a risk management process. It can help any size organization within any industry keep business information assets secure.
HOW DOES ISO 27001 HELP YOU ADDRESS SECURITY ISSUES?
The ISO security standards can help organizations address a number of important issues in various ways:
- Regulatory compliance. The UK Data Protection Act is just one of many regulations currently pertaining to information security in the UK. ISO 27001 implementation helps to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. This reduces the likelihood of fines and other penalties due to non-compliance or the occurrence of a data breach.
- Data breaches. One data breach can do irreparable damage to your company’s reputation. An ISO 27001 audit helps you limit the possibility of a breach by identifying the areas in which you are most vulnerable. It also provides a sound information management security risk framework. As mentioned, adhering to ISO 27001 standards reduces the likelihood of incurring fines or facing criminal prosecution due to non-compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Low risk management confidence. How confident are you in your organization’s ability to effectively manage data/information security risks? ISO 27001 registrations provide companies with an effective framework for identifying risks and threats, as well as for establishing the appropriate internal controls for minimising or even eliminating them. This will give you and your stakeholders greater assurance that you are doing everything possible to safeguard your organization’s vital information.
- Access to information. A critical element of any data security effort is effectively controlling who has access to information at any given time. ISO 27001 certification provides a framework for ensuring that all authorized users can get the information they need when they need it, while also preventing unauthorized users from accessing private or confidential data. This also helps to establish stakeholder trust and credibility, while enhancing your company’s recovery operations in the event of a breach or other catastrophic event.
- Meeting high customer expectations. Understandably, your customers are likely to have high expectations in terms of protecting their private or sensitive information. ISO 27001 standards act as a blueprint for establishing customer-friendly policies and procedures that reduce your company’s risk of a breach, helping to put your customers’ minds at ease. This can be advantageous in terms of improving customer retention and generating new business. It can also reduce the level of third-party scrutiny regarding your information security practices.
- Creating a security mindset. Information security must be a point of focus for every member of your organization. The action of ISO 27001 implementation sends a clear message throughout your organization that security is a top priority. By increasing awareness, you’ll be helping to establish a security mindset that will spread to every level of your company, which can also reduce the likelihood of staff-related security breaches.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ISO 27001?
- Customer satisfaction. Give customers confidence that their personal information is protected and confidentiality upheld.
- Business continuity. Avoid downtime with management of risk, legal compliance and vigilance of future security issues and concerns.
- Legal compliance. Understand how statutory and regulatory requirements impact your organization and its customers and reduce risk of facing prosecution and fines.
- Improved risk management. Ensure customer records, financial information and intellectual property are protected from loss, theft and damage through a systematic framework.
- Proven business credentials. Independent verification against a globally recognised industry standard speaks volumes.
- Ability to win more business. Procurement specifications often require certification as a condition to supply, so gaining certification opens doors.